Sunday 9 December 2007

Going Long

When I started out in this whole triathlon thing I always had one desire and that was to do Ironman. I’m sure Dr James can verify this as I used to bend his ear on Thursday runs with the Headington bog trotters.
In my first year of this tri malarkey I worked my little legs up to a half IM or 70.3 as they’re called these days. During this first year I was bought the book Going Long by Gordo Byrn. At the time I was so scared of doing a half that the full seemed like a long way off but I read this cover to cover, inside out and back again. I was hooked.
Funny that today just a couple of years on I have not only got through three Ironman events (thanks to all the support from my family and friends) but I was sharing the very same pool as the geezer who’s fodder for all things long changed the way I live my life. When I saw him I almost felt like I knew him because I’d read his words, blogs and various training features in magazines and on the interweb.
I wanted to shout to Eek who was swimming her recovery with the Grangers but thought better of it not wanting to be a complete tri geek. Next thing Max, our swim coach, is hugging Monica Caplan (She even swam in my lane for a bit but rightly got moved up as she was killing us)and chatting to Gordo. It appears that Max has had these guys in his squad in the past too. Eek and I have been saying how great we think Max is as a coach and it’s no surprise that the best in the world have studied under him.
It makes me feel very lucky that not only have I been swimming under Max’s watchful eye but he’s someone I’d call a friend. Shame today was the last of what has become a three a week habit with the legend. So big props to Max and great to run into Gordo, a man who’s words at least, helped inspire this kid all the way through 140.6 gruelling miles on several occasions.

No comments: