Saturday 1 December 2007

I love Australia but...


...I really don't like these 'orrible eight-legged creatures. They totally freak me out. I was just minding my own business getting out of the shower last night when this monster jumped out of my towel. Being a completely useless girlie who is petrified of spiders, I shrieked my head off and called for back-up from my rugged SpiderBuster (aka Ozzer). Needless to say, he sauntered into the room, laughing at me, already knowing what I was about to say.

I had to get out of the room as I was starting to get the cold sweats (I honestly do have an irrational fear of spiders) and asked Ozzer to dispose of my terroriser somehow. Back at home he'd obviously have no fears about doing this, but he later admitted that picking up a spider Down Under wasn't on his Top 10 Things I Must Do in Australia. In fact, it's probably on the Top 10 Things Not To Do List.

Anyway, Oz being Oz, he decides the best thing to do is actually get the camera out and photograph our new 'companion' (meanwhile I'm standing dripping wet in a towel in the lounge). I decide to be brave and poke my head around the corner to see what's happening and who's winning, Oz or the spider, when Ozzer just looks up and says "Ahh, he seems to have escaped. But I've got a good photo, if that helps". I didn't really appreciate that much. Until now. Thanks to my SpiderBuster (or SpiderSnapper) I can now show you all the source of my post-shower anxiety last night.

Moving on from the spider, we had a great day today larking about on Fraser Island. I would just like to add to Ozzer's account that when our guide first spotted the dingo, he stopped the bus and suggested people take pictures from inside. Three-two-one, Ozzer the Dingo Hunter leaps up: "Can we get out? Can we get out?!" All of a sudden, the Wee Man is standing on the beach, shark-infested waters to his right, a wild ferocious dog to his left, snapping away. And so, once again, Ozzer's brave selfless acts when armed with a camera and faced with Australian wildlife has spawned yet another brilliant pic for our blog...

No comments: