Sunday 11 November 2007

5am Hell

Those that know me understand I'm not a great early bird. So life here is tough right now. No honestly. Getting up at 5am is never easy even after an early night. I am really struggling to get into this Aussie way of training at silly o’clock. It’s just not something I have had to do.

I know the sun is smiling at 4.30am and it’s best to train before the heat but my poor little body refuses to move properly at this hour and I look like a mole on valium. Peeps here do all their stuff early doors and look at me as if I’m nuts if I question this protocol. I guess I’d better start getting used to it.

We recently joined a swim squad and yes you guessed it they kick off at 5.30am. Gutted. Having never done one before I had no idea what to expect but thought it might be like tri club swim session. 4.5km later in the 50m outdoor pool, knackered and ready to eat a small Shetland pony I knew it was a bit more than our average session.

It was great to get some good coaching from Max though and look forward to hopefully improving over the coming weeks. At the end of the session Max let it slip that he does the same squad session at 9.30am. I didn’t know whether I was tripping out from tiredness but gave him a kiss anyway. So at least three days a week we’ll be getting some coaching along with one session in the sea, which is just too warm to wear a wetsuit in.

Apparently both Greg and Laura Bennett come along to the squad as does Belinda Granger so we’re swimming with some good kids. Hopefully their speed gene will pass through the water and help my swim times;-).

PS I wrote this last night and at our more civilised 9.30am session this morning Eek had to lead out Belinda Granger and her hubbie. I’m sure she’ll tell you more soon.

3 comments:

Tom said...

Guys, it sounds truly amazing!

H and I are soooooo wishing we were there. I remember Sunshine beach from my time in Oz and am sure it must be a training paradise for you guys (unfortunately all I did was drink beer and eat pies during my time in Noosa... DOH!)

We're loving the posts so keep them coming and thanks for the mention a couple back ;)

Take care, travel safe, train hard and 'slip, slap, slop'!

T & H

Dougo said...

Sounds like a good walk spoiled all this running about and getting up early.

Lets have some more fun stuff up here, like Ozzer covered in jelly fish (or is that jellied eels?) and giving Johnny Aussy what for.

Unknown said...

G'day Sports! Thought I'd drop you a line just to confirm that there is another jealous Pom 'Up Over' who is reading and enjoying the tales of 'Ozzer & Eek's Long Weekend With Kylie's People'. All sounds 'Bonza' to me -- apart from having to get up in the middle of the night to go swimming. Are they teaching you how to tie kangaroos down? And why do they do that? GX