Wednesday 7 November 2007

Long time no chat


We started out well with our blog and it might look like we’ve lost interest. Don’t worry it’s not the case. Post race we moved to our new home at Sunshine Beach and there’s no wireless. So we have been struggling to do all things computer. We did go to a backpackers with wireless but were so busy with work didn’t get anything on the blog. Sorry peeps.
It was quite funny being in the backpackers seeing kids walking round with hangovers, living off fry ups and watching telly rather than going to the gorgeous beaches, especially as it was sunny. The last day or so though has seen far too much rain. Our morning ride that we set the alarm for (at 5am!) was called off as the peeps don’t like to ride in the rain apparently.
Yesterday we ventured into the national park and ran along the sandy trails through tropical forest. After getting my off road head on (many of you know I don’t love this type of running) I started to ‘enjoy’ it even though it was lashing down. Naturally we got lost and the planned hour run turned into 1:30. It was quite weird as things started to get dark but luckily we escaped before the demons and trolls came out.
As for the race, which seems like so long ago, we had stinkers. My wave was after the elites, open racers (Eek’s lot), all the old peeps and women. So it wasn’t long before we caught the waves in front and the carnage began. It was busier than an Ironman swim start yet lasted the whole last km(even worse then Antwerp Goblin). I had my goggles kicked off twice and head dunked too many times by the aggro style of the surf lifesavers. I even saw peeps running on the sandbanks on the sides. What’s that about?
Out of the water and into T2 I eventually got to my bike a zillion miles away and headed out. Getting on was hard with so many people stopping in front to get on while stationary. I even had a faller directly in front of me. Out on the bike it was huge train for as far as the eye could see. As for drafting it was inevitable with 5500 peeps on the course at the same time. Less said about that the better. The big climb was the best bit ‘cos I broke away from the packs and just zoomed past lots of peeps hoping they were my dunkers in the swim.
If the bike felt hot then the run was like being in a furnace. With little shadow the heat really was hard to cope with. Aid stations each km couldn’t come quick enough and most of the water went over my head to try and cool down. Even though it was only an Olympic race it felt like Ironman - survival rather than racing. I guess no training and bad living never equals great racing.
We have since changed our ways eating and sleeping well while putting in the miles again. I certainly feel better already. The really big news though is that Tom and Helen are getting married. What a brilliant couple who we know will be ace together. They’re a great team, wonderful peeps and we send you our love from down under. We can’t wait to the wedding Mr & Mrs Statto.

No comments: