Thursday 15 November 2007

Australia Alfred Hitchcock style

I've experienced a few crazy things while out on the bike - Ozzer's wheelies over speed bumps, 95mph crosswinds riding in Lanzarote, skidding through ugly rotting roadkill - but our latest rides have come up trumps for the scariest, most bizarre bike experiences: we've been attacked by birds. Not the drunk Aussie Sheila variety, but the two-winged type. I kid you not.
We were about an hour into a hot and humid ride, foolishly timed mid-afternoon so we were sweating like ba$tards, when we crossed a bridge and admittedly I was starting to struggle as we'd been putting the hammer down for some time. The next thing I know there's squawking in my ear and then my helmet's knocked sideways. Freaking out thinking I've lost the plot, I then see the shadow of a bird swooping down at me for take two and realise a huge magpie is trying to peck my lovely Specialized Decibel off my little bonce. I waved it off a couple of times before it finally realised I was not bird food, but it was seriously scary. Ozzer thought I was nuts when I told him about it the next time we stopped - until our return journey saw the magpies swoop down for a bit of Ozmeat. Ha ha. We are now going out riding armed with not just Powerbars and energy drink but catapults too...
Apart from the wicked magpies, all is good in Sunshine Beach. We've been training hard and have logged about 12 hours so far this week. We're off to squad tomorrow (swimming). Earlier in the week I ended up in the same lane as Belinda and Justin Granger (she's an awesome Ironman athlete) and got sent to the front of the lane - that had to be the hardest 5k swim session of my life!
Off to Byron Bay this weekend so will report back soon with more news of our adventures.
TTFN, Eek and Ozzer

1 comment:

Tom said...

Sounds scary... reckon you could do with a Taser gun :)